1. Foster an attitude of inquiry. Teach students to think, be innovative, and collaborate with others.
2. Instill a feeling for the nature and processes of science by emphasizing STEM project-based assignments.
3. Learn a systematic approach to problem solving using the scientific method and practice process skills listed below.
4. Develop an understanding of how science fits into the world around us, and apply what they learn to real-life situations.
5. Incorportate STEM based activities that teach students problem solving using science, technology, engineering, and math.
Science Process Skills Taught and Practiced
Observing Classifying Inferring Predicting Creating
Measuring Communicating Hypothesizing Making Models Designing
Estimating Controlling Variables Collecting Data Charting/Graphing Memorizing
Interpreting Data Drawing Conclusions Sketching Researching Collaboration
Writing Listening Public Speaking Time Management Coding
Organization Brainstorming Visualizing Reading Innovate Flow Diagrams Note taking Test Preparation Evaluate Technology
Topics Covered in Science 2016-2017
Autust-September STEM PROBLEM SOLVING INTRODUCTION TO SCIENTIFIC METHOD WITH K'NEX
January BOTANY & SCIENCE FAIR PROJECTS BEGIN
February – March BOTANY CONTINUES
Science Fair Continues
Local Science Fair April 5-11, 2017
Regional Science Fair at Queeny Park first week in May
Long Term Projects 2016-2017
Science Fair - Two days each week are devoted to science fair project tasks in the classroom.
4th Grade is optional for individuals (we will do a class project together)
5th Grade is required (can be done with a partner in class)
6th Grade is required and done individually(both in class and at home)